Collingwood College, Durham University
South Road, Durham DH1 3LT (see here for a googlemaps link).
4-6 January 2016
Under the presidency of Dr Adrian Curtis
Printable Version of the SOTS Programme.
Booking form for the Summer Meeting (pdf / doc)
The venue for all sessions is Collingwood College, Durham (please see here for a description, and here for map of Durham).
Publishers are invited to display books for sale during the Meeting.
Members who have had books published recently are also invited to display copies.
MONDAY 4 January
- [2.00 p.m. Committee Meeting]
- 4.30 p.m. Registration
- 6.00 p.m. Reception, sponsored by Sheffield Phoenix Press
- 6.45 p.m. Dinner
- 8.15 p.m. Presidential address: Adrian Curtis (Manchester), “From People and Book to Text in Context: Volumes That Speak Volumes”
TUESDAY 5 January
- 8.00 a.m. Breakfast
- 9.15 a.m. David Firth (Nottingham), “Creating Narrative Instability in Joshua 1-5”
- 10.00 a.m. Bernard Jackson (Manchester), “The Whodunit underlying the plot of the Book of Ruth”
- 10.45 a.m. Coffee
- 11.15 a.m. Heather McKay (Ormskirk), “Clothing, Adornment and Accoutrements in the Historical Books”
- 12.00 noon Nicolas Wyatt (Edinburgh), “The Rumpelstiltskin Factor: Explorations in the Arithmetic of Pantheons” [you can find a pdf of Dr Wyatt’s powerpoint here]
- 13.00 p.m. Lunch
- 3.00 p.m. Seminar “Research in progress”: PhD students and early career researchers present their work
- 4.00 p.m. Tea
- 4.30 p.m. Julie Woods (London), “Flaming Symbols: A Study of Fire as a Symbol of God’s Presence and Word in the Pentateuch and Jeremiah”
- 6.30 p.m. Dinner
- 8.15 p.m. Thomas Römer (Lausanne/Paris), “Yhwh, a god of the wilderness? The question of the origin of the Exodus tradition” [you can find a pdf of Prof. Römer’s powerpoint here]
WEDNESDAY 6 January
- 8.00 a.m. Breakfast
- 9.15 a.m. Maria Cioată (Manchester), “Moses Gaster and the Study of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha”
- 10.00 a.m. Donn Morgan (Berkeley), “The Writings as Post-exilic Canonical Literature: Problems, Challenges, Significance”
- 10.45 a.m. Coffee
- 11.15 a.m. Margaret Barker (Borrowash), “The First Englishing of the LXX”
- 12.00 noon Business Meeting (Members only)
- 1.00 p.m. Lunch, followed by departure
The venue for the Meeting is Collingwood College, Durham University, South Road, Durham, DH1 3LT; the telephone number for the College is 0191 334 5000. Please refer to the enclosed map for information on how to get to the College. There is plenty of parking at the College but we would recommend public transport where possible.
The charges for hospitality are shown on the enclosed Booking Form. Members are requested to pay their accounts in full when returning the form but, if necessary, a non-returnable booking fee of £30 will be accepted and the balance will be payable on arrival at the Meeting. A discounted price is available to those whose bookings are received by Friday 13th November 2015 (please see the details on the form). There is a subsidized price for those on low incomes or from economically disadvantaged countries. All bookings must be received by Tuesday 8th December 2015; no bookings can be accepted after that date. Bookings can be made by email to email@example.com with cheques to follow by post. Please note that in making a booking, members render themselves liable for payment of the full cost of that booking, a liability that will be waived only in the light of extenuating circumstances and only when the final conference accounts permit a refund. You may wish to consider taking out insurance on your booking (or check that your annual travel insurance is applicable) to cover the possibility of you having to cancel your booking. You are advised to make a copy of your completed Booking Form for your own records.
Members wishing to attend the Meeting should send the enclosed Booking Form to the Hospitality Secretary, Mr James Patrick, Mansfield College, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TF (firstname.lastname@example.org) so as to arrive by 13 November 2015 (for the discount price) or at the latest by 8 December 2015.